Tuesday 8 July 2014

North American P51 Mustang


Last week, taking a break from character designs, I started working on a new illustration for my S6 shop. It's a P51 Mustang - one of the earliest models - to go with my little collection of WWII aircraft blueprints. It took two long days to get the pencil sketch finished, and then another four or five hours on top of that to flip it digitally and finish it off.

WIPs, the finished project, the rest of the collection, and a little more rambling after the jump. :)






If anyone's following along on Instagram or Twitter, you might have seen a preview of the pencil sketch. It's not perfect, but I tried to capture as much detail as possible. That made it very time-consuming, but I'm happy with the end result, so it was worth the monotony. And besides, I got to listen to a whole lot of music and a few chapters of audiobooks while I worked, which is a win-win situation, really. :) Eventually, I brought it into Photoshop, tweaked the pencil drawing, and then converted it to digital ink and gave it a worn and weathered background texture. 




This isn't the first time I've drawn a WWII plane. I'm really just adding to my little collection - now containing a Submarine Spitfire, a Focke-Wulfe 190, and a P51 Mustang - which have been pretty popular on Society 6 recently. I've been wanting to draw a Mustang for a long time now anyway, so I figured now would be as good a time as any to get to it. 


The Spitfire, FW-190, and Mustang designs are all available on lots of fun things in my shop; from art prints and clocks, to mugs and tshirts in both black and white ink. And with FREE SHIPPING and $5 off biker tanks this week! 

Click HERE to go check them out!

(with free shipping and $5 off Biker Tanks this week!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!